Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Connor- 1 month old

 (I am going to do his month pictures both of these ways so if you don't care to read my long posts this next pic is the cliff notes version)


My sweet Connor James, you are one month old! This past month has been so bittersweet (mostly sweet though!). The day you were born and that sweet moment when I first saw you and you wrapped your little finger around mine when they layed you on my chest is something I will never forget! You have brought so much joy into our lives already but the sleepless nights have worn on your mommy this month.


These are the things I want to remember on your 1 month birthday:

2 week stats: 9 lbs. 2 oz. (2oz. short of birth weight) 20 inches long

4 week weight: 11 lbs 

*You picked up nursing so well and are very efficient like your big sister was. A feeding usually only takes you about 15-20 minutes.

*You had your first smiles this month. :)

*You have relux which has created a challenge for you and I. You don't spit up a ton but you do have to be held upright after a feeding for at least 20 minutes. We have been giving you Zantac for your reflux but I haven't seen huge improvements just yet. I think because of your reflux you dont like to be layed down. You are most comfortable when you are held so I am usually holding you or I put you in the baby carrier which you also love. This does make it hard to get things done but I have learned how to do most things one handed and I try and remind myself to just take advantage of these snuggly times with you. Having you lay on my chest is one of my favorite things in the world.



*You sleep beside us in your pack-n-play. Since you have reflux we borrowed a "nap nanny", that we place in your pack-n-play, so that you sleep more comfortably. Your sleeping is very inconsistent though. There have been a few nights where you will sleep about 4-5 hour stretches and then others when you sleep only 2. On average though I am waking up about twice to feed you in the middle of the night.You are a very restless and noisy sleeper which makes sleeping for your mommy and daddy very difficult. I tend to think that the restlessness has a lot to do with your reflux. Your sister slept through the night so early on but I think it is going to take you a little longer....and that is ok. I know these nights of waking up to nurse you will not last forever.

*Your sister has affectionately nicknamed you "squeaky" because of all the little noises you make. 

*You hate the carseat and cry almost EVERYTIME the car comes to a stop.

*You like to be swaddled at night.

*Starting around 5 every night you become fussy and restless. You want to nurse every 2 hours (or even every 1 1/2 hours) before we put you go to sleep for the night. No wonder you weigh 11 lbs! Your doctor says that the average baby gains about 1 ounce a day and you are gaining 1.75 ounces a day!!! I am still on the fence at whether you really are going through habitual growth spurts or whether you just want to nurse more frequently in the evenings because your tummy hurts, your tired, and nursing soothes you. I don't think you would ever turn down a meal!

*During your fussy/sleepy times at night I give you a pacifier, cradle you, and bounce you till you calm down.


*You don't nap well in the nap nanny (go figure!) so during the day (with close supervision!) I lay you down on your tummy and you nap perfectly! You have good head control already and can turn your head to either side when you are laying down but I still don't feel comfortable laying you on your tummy for nighttime just yet.


Before you were born all of my friends with boys would tell me there is something special about a little boy and I have to agree! I love you and your sister equally but the way you respond only to me and how sweetly you snuggle with me just makes me feel like I am your girl. :) Let's keep it that way till you are at least 16, ok? I know you will grow up to be such a gentleman and will steal some girl's heart like you have stolen mine. Your daddy and I promise to love you unconditionally and to raise you to the very best of our ability.We love you precious Connor!!

xoxo,
Mommy

2 comments:

Cassie said...

love all the details! he is SOO stinking cute! its fun so really see him up and awake! I am right there with you on the nights and it is a good thing these boys are so cute and cuddly! :)

Jenny said...

oh vaughanie, this post made me tear up! he's so precious and YOU are so in love! thank you so much for posting all of this, between the two of us, time is limited and i just eat up any detail about your little boy who i can't wait to meet! i will be praying for your rest and for his reflux! love you!