After talking with my best friend Jenny on the subject I feel compelled to write a post about the things that I have realized since becoming a mom.
1) Being a mom is not all roses. Even though we love our children more than anything in the world it is not an easy job and we all have our rough days, some more than others. And what mom doesn't secretly wish they could ,at least for a day, go back to the time when they weren't a mom with so many responsibilities!?
2)Most moms dont talk about the struggles of raising children nearly enough. I for one find it so comforting to share my struggles with other moms, to seek their advice, and know that I am not the only one that has gone through this or that.
3)I need to stop comparing my baby to other babies. It is not fair to me and it certainly is not fair to Ava. She is exactly who God has created her to be. What an insult to Him when I compare her to other children and worry that she is "behind" or acting in way that I think is not normal. I mean really, what do I know anyway? All that I can do is love her through the good times and bad and remind myself what an incredible gift she is to me. I am so blessed to have a baby as sweet and good as she is and I need to stop being so hard on her and myself. I take things way too personally when it comes to her and I should remind myself everyday what a good mom I am and give myself some credit. And so should other moms!!!
4)Celebrate each milestone and stop anticipating the next. Soak up each precious moment with her and not take anything for granted. They grow up way to fast and I want to remember everything.
5)It's ok to let your baby cry. As long as I know there is nothing wrong, it is ok to let Ava cry for a little bit. I have found that it helps her sleep better and it makes her less dependent on me. Of course as a mom I want to console her and always keep her happy but it is also good for her to learn that crying doesnt always mean you get your way. *Side note, this does not mean I let my child cry without ever comforting her. When she is crying I usually know why and can address the situation accordingly. And as my personal rule, if I ever see real tears I have to scoop her up and make it all better. I hate real tears!!!
I will be adding to this list as I become a more experienced mom but for now I will leave you with those! I welcome others as I have a lot to learn! I actually think that is a cool part of being a mom. You are always discovering new things about yourself and that precious baby of yours.
7 comments:
I love your list and I completely agree with all of it!
PS-you are a great mom and Ava is very lucky!
Kristen, I completely agree with every point. And, as always, it was so eloquently written! I really enjoyed our time together yesterday. It is so refreshing to be with other mommies & share our struggles & successes!!
oh wow vaughanie! every mother should read your post, so well said! i too felt so good after talking to you today. thank you for sharing so much of your precious time with me so we could talk about our sweet little blessings! ( i do the same thing as you do with your "real tears" rule!)
thanks for your honesty, but i am pretty sure you are still perfect! ha! no, truly, it has been such a blessing to share the journey of mommyhood together. thanks for putting into words what we all think and feel!
LOVE the list and couldn't agree with you more!! Your little Miss Priss is such a doll. I wish we could meet her in person soon. Hope yall are doing well. I miss yall. Give Ava kisses from us.
Love you
Kristen, this was beautifully written! Thanks for sharing your thoughts..I am sure we have all felt similar feelings. It's great to have a support group. I feel very blessed that all my close friends are going through the same things that I am right now. Thanks for writing about treating our babies uniquely. I think that is something we should remind each other of alot! We are all different, and our babies will be too.
You are such a precious, sweet person and Ava is so lucky!
Well said Vaughanie! You know you are not alone. Being a mommy IS the hardest and the best job in the world and Ava is so blessed to have you for hers.
Post a Comment